What is the difference between the private IP address and the public IP address on your broadband box? How to know them?
Your broadband box has a private IP address and a public IP address. Find out what makes them different and how to get to know them.
Public IP address
A box has an IP address “facing outwards” and materializing its address on the Internet network : this is the public IP address. It is the address that “sees” for example a server on which you are going to make transactions. It is his connection to the Net. These addresses are used by computers on the network to communicate with each other. Thus, each computer on a network has a unique IP address.
Private IP address
A box also has an “inward-facing” IP address, that is to say allowing one or more computers to be connected. This is the private IP address.
How to find out your public IP
The public IP address is issued by your ISP (Internet service provider) when you install and synchronize the box.
Some widgets also allow you to know it.
Here’s how to find out your public IP:
Connect to your box:
Go to My Services → Internet Access → Internet Connection Status
Or go to a site like:
How to know your private IP with Windows
- If you are under Windows 2000, or , go to start / run then type “cmd / k ipconfig / all”.
- If you are on Windows 95, Windows 98, , Windows 8 , go to Start / Run, then type “winipcfg”.
Here is the detailed procedure in Windows to retrieve your private IP address:
- go to Start → Run → Cmd
- type the command “ipconfig / all”
Then appears the list of all the Ethernet cards of your, with their IP addresses and the following information:
- name of the connection in the properties of Windows;
- MAC address of the ;
- your computer’s private “ ” address .
Windows 10 tip
- In the task bar, click on your connection , then select the active connection marked “Connected”;
- In the that opens, click again on the active connection. You will then see the information relating to your connection, including your private IPv4 address.
How to know your private IP with macOS
- Go to the “System Preferences” menu (apple icon at the top left of the screen), then open the “Network” menu.
- Then, click on your active connection, the private IP address is then displayed in the upper right part of the window.